Thursday, September 16, 2010

Countdown to Nowhere

I am about to boldly go where no one has gone before.  I am about to get real like Oprah.  I would like to tell the teacher community that they better shut their pie holes and quit complaining about how many days of school they have left to teach before the next summer vacation!!!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?  This is one of a handful of normal professions (I say "normal" because celebrities, professional sports players, homeless people and politicians do not count) that has what we in corporate America call an entire QUARTER off, almost 3 months.  Let’s do the math together Teach, a quarter is 3 months and there are 4 quarters in a year so by my calculations that means that teachers only do ¾ the work that normal professions do.  Hmmmm.  I do not want to be rude because yes, I KNOW, they are teaching the future of America but someone has got to seriously tell them to SHUT UP.  School has only been in session for less than 2 full weeks and they are already complaining? 

Let’s recap, they have been working full-time for 9 days and they feel the need to count down the dreadful days until their next massive 3 month vacation.  “175 more school days, Ugh”  NO!  You do not get to Ugh that.  Give me a “Another 60 hr work week and no vacation time accrued” and I will let you Ugh.  At most corporations individuals request for a week off at a time max…that’s 5 days in a row.  Look at my math skills at work again.  Most supervisors react to this type of request with that ever loving “Are you serious?” stare followed up with, “I guess you can work late before and after your vacation to make up the work since your sister HAS to get married in Green Bay, WI”.  I have a proposition for those teachers.  You know the famous take your child to work day?  Let’s take those teachers to corporate world for a day and see if after 8-10 grinding hours in a cubicle they still want to continue their precious countdown.

Guess what I am going to countdown?  The number of days until you teachers and students go back on vacation and stop ruining my commute!  Two can play at this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment